We are less than 24 hours away from the aptly named #BeastFromTheEast winter storm arriving in the U.K.
The Met Office has issued a number of warnings and forecast a period of “exceptional weather” from Monday to Thursday, With more than 20cm of snow forecast for some parts of the UK covering eastern England, Northern England, Scotland and Northern Ireland, Travel disruption is widely expected. and power outages for many, while the bitter winds will make the temperatures feel close to -5C in some places.
So make sure you wrap up warm for the #ExtremeCold temperatures
However, at 4×4 Vehicle Hire we want to know is your current vehicle ready for the snow? Our SUV winter team wants to share some tips with you, on how to keep safe on the roads during this cold snap.
Via The AA who have compiled a comprehensive guide to winter driving on its website.
See below for some of their helpful advice and make sure you drive safely – and we also share the tips Richard Hammond picked up from rally experts.
- Wear comfortable, dry shoes for driving. Cumbersome, snow-covered boots will slip on the pedals.
- Pull away in second gear, easing your foot off the clutch gently to avoid wheel-spin.
- Up hill – avoid having to stop part way up by waiting until it is clear of other cars or by leaving plenty of room to the car in front. Keep a constant speed, choosing the most suitable gear well in advance to avoid having to change down on the hill.
- Down hill – reduce your speed before the hill, use a low gear and try to avoid using the brakes. Leave as much room as possible between you and the car in front.
- If you have to use brakes then apply them gently.
For more information on the latest 4×4 SUV and tow-hire range call our UK headoffice on 0800 048 8650